So, I may have a bit of a pattern crush on the Plantain. And this is just the beginning.
I’ve made the Deer and Doe Plantain four times now: an unblogged muslin (super comfortable, and waaaaay too big), here and here, a project yet to be blogged, plus two projects yet to be sewn and two more that are still in the planning stages. That would make, all said and done, four different pattern variations not counting changing sleeve lengths.
I still haven’t gotten it quite perfect. There’s some bunching under my arms that I can’t quite figure out. I’m trying to add a bit of width. I’m thinking maybe it’s too tight. Either that or the armhole still isn’t right.
You can see that a bit in this little project.
What you can’t see is the topstitching.
I used white thread for all the topstitching. And then painstakingly colored all the topstitching over the black stripes with a black Sharpie. If I were classier, I would have used a fabric marker. But I didn’t have any of those. The Sharpie worked, though. This shirt can’t stay out of the washer, apparently, and the black holds fast! Maybe because I ironed it right after thinking it might help set the marker.
The fabric is Riley Blake, probably a medium-weight. It keeps its shape beautifully.
And that is officially all I have to say about this shirt.
I think my next plan for this pattern is to reshape it to a more fitted tee–which I kind of have already done with the dress variation I’ve made.
And now, friends–PANTS. They are happening. They are cut out. They are awaiting a jeans button. MY LEGS SHALL NOT FREEZE THIS WINTER.
Farewell, y’all. Stay warm out there.