Remember this blouse? Yeah, I forgot about it, too.
I’ve been mopey all week because I haven’t finished anything in sooooo long. I’ve been working on S2444 and then my sloper and then S2444 and then my sloper, and now I’m working on wedding stuff, but I have nothing to show for myself. Whine, whine, whine. . .
BUT, I have finished something. This something, in fact:
And I love it. LOVE. IT.
This is, as you’ve probably realized, a Colette Sorbetto. It is my March Stash-Busting Sewalong project. The theme for this month is “The Changing Season,” but here in the ATL we’re still having winter. Bleh. I used some Amy Butler rayon challis that I’ve had since last fall.
I actually had not planned on getting this post up today, seeing as how I’ve been so terribly behind on my Sew for Victory dress. But, as of today, I seem to be back on track! I know–“Victory” indeed! So, I decided to take a bit of a break and scratch a blog task off my list. Unfortunately, I had to take my pictures inside (as I’m sure you’re already aware) because it’s freezing, freezing and gloomy gray outside.
I did make some mods to the Sorbetto. I added piping to the front pleat and drafted a Peter Pan collar which was quite a challenge to sew because I must have done something wrong somewhere along the way because the first time I attached it, it did not want to fit.
What I ended up doing was sort of easing the neckline to the collar. Of course this meant that my facings, which fit perfectly the first time around, were now too big. So they were ruffling up something fierce. Also, in spite of meticulous understitching, they would not stay tucked under.
Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite. All I did was tear off several short strips and tack the facings down every so often. I made sure that I kept everything hidden under the collar, but I was surprised that you really can’t see any sign of the tape on the right side.
I also used it on the hem, just as an experiment. I did not want a machine stitched hem but I wanted to be sure of a very clean hemline. The Steam-a-Seam really helped, but it did make it hard to sew through by hand. So, I ended up using a sort of catchstitch hybrid rather than my typical slipstitch.
I used French seams throughout (you know, for all four seams). I ended up taking the sides in just under the arms and then leaving the rest of the side seam alone. It’s still a bit boxier than I’d like, but it seems to work with this fabric.
I’m not terribly fond of the blue topstitching on the front pleat. I wish I had taken the time to hand-sew the piping in. I may go back and fix it, but it’s pretty low on the to-do list.
Also, I need to work on my pressing skills. The curve on this collar is not that super.
All things considered, I’m immensely pleased with this top. I imagine it’s going to be one of my favorites once the weather turns warm. On days like this, it’s hard to imagine that we’ll be suffering through 95 degree, humid days before long. Right now, I’m like, “Bring it on!” I’m certain I’ll be singing a different tune in August.
But, for now, warm weather is just around the corner.
Also, a wedding.
Time to get back to work!