W(Still)IP: Simplicity 1801

Okay, Friendlies–prepare yourselves for some terrible and awkward pictures.

I’ve been working on Simplicity 1801, and just this morning, I finally attached the skirt and could really get a good look at how the thing was going to hang.

So, first, let’s discuss how the dress magically became too big. I made a muslin. I really don’t know, but there it is. Here I have a pin holding the yoke at a comfortable fit and you can see there’s about 2″ or so of excess on the front and back side seams. That’s easily (although quite annoyingly) fixed, so let’s move on.

Due to my swaybackedness, I raised the center back by about 1 1/2″ and tapered to nothing at the side seams. I’m wondering if I was a little over-enthusiastic and should reduce the seam allowance a bit. It seems to hang okay, though. Maybe it’s just that I’m completely twisted around in order to get the picture of my back. . .

Here’s the obvious issue with this dress:

Do you see it?

What about in this picture?

Admittedly, part of the problem in the second picture is that I’m standing all crazy pants which makes me look more baby-bumpish than normal. . .

But, you see it, right?

The ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS AMOUNTS OF GATHERING.

Did you miss it? Go back and look. You’ll see what I mean.

What the what were these pattern drafters thinking?? The gathers at the shoulders and above the yoke don’t bother me that much; it’s all the insane gathering at the waist that looks unbelievably awkward. It’s practically forming a little shelf!

Clearly, I have to detach the skirt and remove all of that extra (is it called “ease” in this case?). The positive to this mess is that it gives me an excuse to add the pockets. I had decided not to do them last weekend because I was trying to finish quickly, but I’ve been regretting that decision. I happen to like pockets. But I’m definitely over my phase of making my pockets out of crazy contrasting fabrics. I feel they’ll look better if they blend in.

So, that’s what’s going on with the dress.

On a happier note, I’m finally headed out this evening to get some decent pictures of finished projects. Someday, I hope to have my own real camera, so I’ll be able to do better pictures more often. Until then. . . “I get by with a little help from my friends. . . ” and all that.

And maybe someday I’ll have pictures of Not Me!

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “W(Still)IP: Simplicity 1801

  1. Eek, that is a lot of gathering! Sometimes I just don’t understand patterns… sigh…

    On the plus side, this is a great color, and I bet you’ll love it once you’ve de-poufed the skirt!

    • Thanks! Pairing the coral with the fuchsia may have been an odd idea, but it’s become one of my favorite color combos!
      You know, when you look at the pattern envelope, there is NOT that much gathering.

  2. i love gathers, but i’ve found they aren’t too flattering on me when they sit directly at the waist 😦
    hopefully your plan will work – the cut of the dress looks really great on you!

    • Thanks!
      Gathers at the waist don’t look so great on me, either. If I make this dress again, I’m thinking about converting all the gathers into pleats. For now, though, let’s hope that removing the excess gathering will make the dress acceptable!

  3. I know you finished and all, but next time you might try the retro garment trick of having all the gathers at the side and leaving the front flat. I don’t know that gathers at the front of a skirt really flatter anyone. Well, maybe one or two people. But I don’t know who they are. 🙂

I'm done. Now, YOU can talk :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s