So. . . The Bag.
I’ve already whined aplenty about the issues with this pattern and its instructions–or how I failed to follow the instructions because I went rogue when I shunned the jute webbing. So, I guess there’s not much else to say about that.
Let’s talk about what I actually like.
. . .
Hmmm. . .
Oh! I have one! The zipper insertion was a breeze! I don’t know why I let zippers intimidate me. They really aren’t hard at all to sew in. The only thing I still struggle with is keeping my seams aligned properly. This is why I’ve given in and started hand basting my invisible zippers before sewing them. In the end it saves me time because I don’t have to rip out the left side and do it again.
I guess I could add that the bag itself was super cute. My mom was pleased. The bag is also huge. I mean you-could-fit-a-small-but-chubby-child-in-your-bag huge.
I solved the raw edges issue (if you remember, the lack of lining leaves your raw edges exposed inside the bag). I found just the right length of extra wide bias tape in my stash. I just zig-zagged it on. It’s certainly not perfect, but it looks a lot better than it did before.
You know, in spite of all the issues this bag threw at me, I really enjoyed making it! Making all that bias tape was definitely a pain, but it was also somehow therapeutic.
Call me crazy, I guess.