The Blouse of Many Gathers Lives!

If you’ve been keeping score at home, you know that my first New Look 6107 was a short-lived success due to very poor choice of fabric. Since I was still a fan of the pattern, I decided to make another one, this time from a nice cotton lawn instead of cheap polyester shirting that would eventually bleed blue all over itself.

I took this picture after wearing the blouse, so you can see some left over wrinkles.

There’s not too much more to say about the construction that I haven’t already said. But, there are a few things to mention:

1. The gathers turned out much better this time around. I used the Coletterie’s method of sewing three rows of basting stitches rather than the typical two.

2. I opted for the cap sleeve instead of the elbow sleeve. This cut at least 45 minutes off the construction time. I also inserted the sleeves flat before sewing up the side seams of the bodice. It was the first time I’d tried this method and there are a few things I’d do differently next time. I went ahead and hemmed the sleeves before inserting and didn’t leave enough un-hemmed on either side of the seam to be able to sew up the seam properly once I’d inserted the sleeve. Does that make sense? Probably not if you’ve never tried this method. Anyway–my hem looks a little crazy around the seam because of it. It probably would have been much easier to sew that bit of hem by hand rather than wrestling with the machine for such a small bit.

3. I have determined that I need to work more on button loops. Mine are too big in general and I do not like the way they look. A few are too loose and a few are too tight even though I cut them all the same length. Here’s what I would do differently:

  1. The instructions say to sew a scant 1/4″ from the edge. I’d do something closer to a 1/8″ for slimmer loops.
  2. The pattern piece you’re given for marking the button loop placement has each side of the loop placed almost a half inch apart. I think these should be much closer together–more like a quarter inch apart. It would probably be better to cut the loops a little shorter as well.
  3. Definitely, definitely be very precise when cutting each button loop length.

4. On a slightly related note, if using a lightweight fabric again, I would consider interfacing the fabric on the left side in between the fabric and the facing so that when I sew the buttons on, I can hide my stitches under the facing without worrying about putting too much stress on the fabric. Know what I mean?

The bow is hard to see in this picture, but it’s there and I love it! Also, I should mention that once again, I raised the neckline about two inches since I’m all scrunched up on top. It looks really high in this picture, but it’s not that bad in person.

5. I think I could also safely take the blouse in just a bit. I like that it’s not super tight, but it is also a tad on the too roomy side.

6. I was trying to use up buttons in the stash, but I couldn’t find seven exactly alike. Instead, I have five that match and two extras–one at the top, mostly hidden by the bow and one at the bottom.

One of these buttons is not like the other. . .

So, New Look 6107 continues to be a win. And it is also the only thing I have accomplished in weeks. Here’s hoping that this dry spell ends soon!

Advertisements

4 thoughts on “The Blouse of Many Gathers Lives!

I'm done. Now, YOU can talk :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s