The Trying-to-Stay-Awake-on-a-Monday Skirt

I have been incredibly tired lately. As in, I wake up at 8:00 and want to go back to bed at 10:00. Is it coincidence that 10:00 is when I start getting ready for work? I’ll let you decide.

Anyways. . . It’s no surprise that even though I had no plans for the weekend (and by that I mean “outside of my house” plans) I only really accomplished one thing.

Oh, hey, maybe I should be friendly with my iron. . .

This is the sister skirt to the Iris shorts I just finished last week. I used Simplicity 2211 and was really doubting my choice of pattern until I saw this skirt on Sew Spoiled and just loved it. Honestly, I have very little to say about my version. It was remarkably easy to sew up. There are just a few things I suppose I could mention:

1. The top stitching. Since everything was moving along so smoothly, I thought I would complicate things by using some of those cutesy stitches that I never use instead of regular, straight top stitching.

I obviously did not use top stitching thread–mostly because I didn’t have any and didn’t feel like running to the store. But, I kind of like the subtlety. I don’t want to be overwhelmed with the thread foliage everywhere.

2. The pleats. I thought these were going to be tricky, but they really weren’t. I would just suggest using caution and care when hemming as things got just a bit dicey at that point. Also, I’m beginning to notice that I need to be a little less crazy with my machine hemming. I don’t mind a machine hem, but I need to hem closer to the edge of the fold–if you know what I’m talking about and I hope you do because I do not have the full power of language at my command today.

3. The waist. The instructions say to use twill tape, and since my fabric was actually twill, I just cut a strip from the selvage. Same thing, right? Well, due to. . . some factors I actually don’t fully remember, I decided not to use the makeshift twill tape and used bias tape instead. And I did it wrong. I sewed a little too high (this is why we baste and don’t just eye it, my friends) and didn’t catch in the bottom fold of the tape. I may just go back over it a little lower and then have a wonderful time ripping out all of those stitches. . .

But, happy news: I inserted my first lapped zipper! More on that Wednesday.

Besides the skirt, I made a halfhearted go at my sew-along shirt dress muslin. Basically, I just cut out the pieces. I’m definitely behind schedule on this one. I’m hoping that tonight I’ll have time to work on it. I will say that while cutting out my muslin, I came up with a slightly brilliant time saver for marking. I’m sure I’m not the first, but I was pretty pleased with myself.

Farewell, friends. May your Mondays be swift!


5 thoughts on “The Trying-to-Stay-Awake-on-a-Monday Skirt

    • Thanks! To be fair, I am definitely shorter than the model–but I did take it up a couple of inches. It falls just a smidge higher on me, I think.

I'm done. Now, YOU can talk :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s